Friday 25 March 2011

London Design Week 2011


New collections!

Sunday 6.00am far too early to be getting up on a rest day but hubby is going to Abu Dhabi and I being the dutiful wife am taking him to Heathrow terminal 5 which proves to be a disaster but that’s entirely another story. So after I drove to Chelsea Harbour because London Design week was starting and I was looking forward to seeing all the new collections. 

Problem…far too early as I noticed when I got there. Take note; next time arrive at mid day or after.


Anyway since nothing was open i decided that a latte and croissant was in order and i would wait for the rest of the world to wake up.While exchanging texts and phone calls with a very unhappy hubby, who's been rerouted to Dubai, the design centre slowly started to come alive.


Some of the showrooms windows were truly artistic and although maybe not to everyone’s taste but nevertheless the artistic juices were flowing and some excelled more than others. 


























Zinc collection is strong, tactile and urban with playful, quirky undertones. The new Zinc collections integrate sumptuous texture and modern graphic design together with an eclectic mix of fabrics they capture the revival of chic English hedonism of the 1970s and pay homage to the great designers of the time. Those blue and greens took me back to sea in the caribbean. I am in love with the colours; they are a reminder of the sun and holidays that we all so long for.

 


Having had got a phone call from Anna Casa Interiors I decided to pay them a visit and see their new collection and did you know they have extendable tables in which the systems were devised by none other then Ferrari? I swear that every time Puja opened one I thought she was going to smash them but how wrong was I? It works beautifully and with the right house they will look amazing specially the one with Murano legs.



















Zoffany’s new collection is truly lovely and eclectic, from 1832 maps of London wallpapers to an old duty stamp and from Victorian times to renaissance drawings they were all given a modern interpretation and the result is superb. Do go and check out their Intaglio, Frangipani and Roman stripes. 



















Next it was Sahco, also one of my favourites; their fabrics are just so luxurious and sophisticated that I can't help but  get inspired by their collections. The colours, patterns and weaving techniques are truly awe-inspiring.




















Lelievre is also a favourite of mine with not just their fabrics but also their furniture, quite something and I can’t resist to seeing their Kenzo collection, the colours are always so spectacular and I would say this is at the moment one of my favourite fabrics.Colour, texture and pattern what more could you ask for! Stunning.




How stunning is  this Antiqued Copper bath tub from Ann Sacks and the tiles, so amazing. If you dare to let your creative juices flow then this is the place to come. 





































Probably my three favourite window displays were Jim Thompson’s with his really amazing monkeys, the elegance of Robert Allen’s window with those lovely birds and the beautiful cages plus I think I have a secret desire (to own a red sofa) and Romo’s window with such jovial, trendy and amazing bright colours from  Zinc's Miami collection that will get rid of anyone’s winter blues without a doubt. 














By two o’clock I had enough plus my car was in the car park and probably going to cost an arm and a leg (yes I know you can park in the street for free on Sunday as my friend Zuzana from Robert Allen pointed out, and yes I WAS LAZY , I got up far too early remember?!)


So since I was driving I decided to leave when they started serving wine, I only had coffee, tea and water (sniffs). Take note; next time take the train so i can have some wine. I did have some yummy nibbles though. 


And here you have it my journey to London Design week 2011, hope you enjoyed it and if you are nearby do go and take a look at some fabulous new collections.


www.aguilarinteriors.com

Pictures via zinc, robert allen, lelievre, sahco and  my own.



4 comments:

  1. I went on Wednesday of the Design Week .... ended up full of trendy bags which surprisingly enough didn't contain much info so when I realised it I started to pick up brochures related to the latest collections to digest later. Within my favourite ones: Ana Casa (and completely agree with you Ana.... the most wonderful glass tables ever!) Zinc textile by Romo, Interdesign and Armani, to name just a few. Parking and food weren't as expensive as expected :) In general I enjoyed it but would have loved to see more Furniture, which is my area of expertise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Yolanda, why give away the bags when in most of them you can't find the info about the new collections and I also wish they had more furniture shops. Will you be going to Saloni del Mobile then? Glad you enjoyed it, I certainly did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went on Wednesday of the Design Week .... ended up full of trendy bags which surprisingly enough didn't contain much info so when I realised it I started to pick up brochures related to the latest collections to digest later. Within my favourite ones: Ana Casa (and completely agree with you Ana.... the most wonderful glass tables ever!) Zinc textile by Romo, Interdesign and Armani, to name just a few. Parking and food weren't as expensive as expected :) In general I enjoyed it but would have loved to see more Furniture, which is my area of expertise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you Yolanda, why give away the bags when in most of them you can't find the info about the new collections and I also wish they had more furniture shops. Will you be going to Saloni del Mobile then? Glad you enjoyed it, I certainly did.

    ReplyDelete